Policies + Tips for Visitors
Our policies help protect the artwork and ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for visitors.
No works of art, vitrines, or pedestals may be touched.
Still photography for personal use is permitted. No flash, tripods, or camera extension poles allowed. Videotaping for personal use is permitted in the lobby only. The Museum reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to withhold and/or withdraw permission to photograph or video anywhere on its premises. No photographs or video may be reproduced, distributed, or sold without permission from the Museum.
Coats and umbrellas may be left at owner’s risk in our unattended checkroom. Large items such as suitcases and shopping bags are not allowed in the galleries and we do not recommend bringing them to the Museum.
Children ages 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
FOOD + DRINKS
Outside food and drinks are not permitted in the Museum. Food and drinks are permitted only in MOCAD Café and may not be carried into the galleries or other areas.
Talking on mobile phones is not permitted in the Museum’s galleries.
All galleries and facilities are wheelchair accessible. Wheelchairs are available in the checkroom free of charge.
Sketching is permitted in the galleries (pencil only, no ink or paint) with sketchbooks no larger than 8 1/2 x 11 inches (21.6 x 27.9 cm). No easels, stools, or sketching while sitting on the floor is permitted.
Smoking and vaping are not permitted anywhere in the Museum.
Photo + Film Use Policy
The Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit reviews all filming/photography requests on a case-by-case basis. A review of requests for the Museum to be featured in advertising commercials depends on the nature of the product and context. A request for the Museum to be featured in films depends on the nature of the film.
- The Museum may not be used as a background shot for a generic museum or gallery to be fabricated later in film.
- Location fees vary. Fee may vary depending and according to the type of publicity/identification the Museum receives. Fee does not include Museum guard/staff costs, which are $40 per person, per hour. Location fees are not charged for shoots that are part of newspaper/magazine editorials that promote the Museum.
- Shooting set-up may not prevent Museum patrons from entering or exiting any entrance of the Museum.
- Works of art may not be moved or altered in any manner.
- Certain works are protected by an artist’s copyright and can only be photographed in a general gallery view, in which the copyright-protected artwork is not the primary focus or predominant element in the photograph. Should you wish to photograph works that fall into this category, advance permission is required. Some works may only be available for photography by agreeing to pay fees instituted by the copyright holder.
- Proof of $1 million insurance policy is required prior to the shoot.
- Catering must be contracted through MOCAD Café
and/or a vendor from MOCAD’s Preferred Vendors list for any on site food and beverage service. No other catering service may be brought on the premise, with the exception of individual bottled water.
All requests must be submitted in writing 10 business days in advance of requested date.
Completion of your request does not imply permission. Permission will be contingent upon review of answers to requested information below. You will be notified of Museum approval for your plans in advance and informed of any direct costs related to security, cleaning crew and/or electrical, in addition to location fee.
If you have additional questions about the Museum’s policy, please contact 313.832.6622.